Thursday, September 11, 2008

Our "melted" house after Disney

On the plane ride home from Disney, Rob and I were discussing how nice it was going to be to go home to our already Christmas decorated house. We were going to sit in the living room with all the lights off except for our tree. Instead....we came home to a house that was...are you ready for this.....144 degrees!! Can you believe it? Our thermostat malfunctioned and was running at full blast for we don't know how long. So here we are at 8 o'clock at night trying to cool our house down. We had all the windows and doors open with fans running (mind you it is the middle of Dec. with freezing temps outside). Our wood floors were so hot that Emily couldn't even stand on them. The bathroom had the most damage because it's a small room and the door was shut. The laminate on our vanity and linen closet peeled off in places and our shower surround melted off the walls. Since we had already decorated for Christmas we had lots of candles out too and they all melted. The jar candles weren't so bad is was the loose ones that caused the problems. My ceramic Winnie the Pooh village and our Nativity scene were all stuck to the top of our entertainment center with wax. Weeks later we were still finding "melted" things around the house. So instead of coming home and relaxing after our long vacation we were up until about midnight cleaning and cooling off.

So while Rob was cleaning up I took some pictures. I didn't even think to take of of the thermometer until we had cooled the house down to a "cool" 124 degrees.

A jar candle in our bedroom.

These 2 candles were both in the basement right above our computer. Luckily all of our electronic stuff was not harmed.

It's kind of hard to tell i this picture, but this candle (and 5 others just like it) used to be about 1 1/2 inches think. I had them lined up along the front of the entertainment center. When they melted it went all the the top of the entertainment center and also down the back covering the TV and the shelf it was on.

This was my lovely shower surround. We were already in the planning stages of replacing it but this made us do it much faster. In the top picture you can see how it pulled away from the wall and cracked.

For me this was one of the scariest things. These are the blinds in Emily's room. I'm pretty sure that had we been gone a day or two more we may have come home to a burned down house.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Elissa said...

Wow! I heard about this, but seeing the pictures of the melted stuff is scary!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home